Life of Dave

Life of Dave

Friday, August 25, 2017

GCVW 2017

To shift gears entirely (pun intended) from Saturday’s full immersion salmon experience, Sunday was car show day. The Great Canadian VW Show congregated on the paved area just north of Science World. Hard to believe that site has been vacant for over 30 years now. For a few years, way back when, it played annual host to the Vancouver Indy race; now it’s mostly used for parking semi-trailer trucks for stadium events, and for siting such events as Cirque du Soleil. One of these days I'm sure there will be more highrises on the site.
Coincidentally since it's been about 30 years since Expo 86 occurred, I’ve been a VW (air-cooled) nut for over 30 years. For some reason I just can’t shake that particular addiction. Lots of split window Type 2s (vans) this year. They’ve skyrocketed in price in recent years. Every time I see one I’m (painfully) reminded of the one I bought around 30 years ago for $500. It was minus its engine and transmission, but that was OK because my customization plans included removing the stock gearbox and reduction gear assemblies to swap in a Beetle transmission to greatly reduce the vehicle’s height. I was all about lowering cars back then. Mine was a late ’55 model which meant it was the one of the first ones produced after the “barn doors” (the engine lid was double the size of later models) meaning, even then, that it wasn’t quite as valuable as an early ‘55. This trip down memory lane was probably sparked by the very first Volkswagen I saw through the fence on Sunday as I approached the event; a lowered barndoor panel van sitting in the swap meet area. Not for sale mind you; it was apparently driven there by a vendor.
This lowered barndoor panel was my favourite, and it wasn't even entered in
the car show portion.
This was by far the most colourful entry. But what's up with that exhaust pipe?
I was really hoping to see this panel van again. It was built by the same guy
responsible for the creation of Heb Rod. Subtlety is the van's strength I think;
not to mention the 2.7 litre Porsche 6 stuffed in the engine bay! 
This Syncro completes VW's rear-engined van heritage. I'm really not interested
in their modern front wheel drive models. To me it's all about the classics!
2020 VW Microbus
Update: However, it would appear that all is not lost. I may not get back my beloved rear engine format, but as of today, Sept. 5, 2017, an electric Microbus has been unveiled. In all likelihood this one'll be all wheel drive to complement it's announced electric propulsion. It's even claimed that "driverless mode" will be an option. Despite that innovation (I really can't imagine me "not driving" at any point), sign me up to that waiting list! 

No comments:

Post a Comment