Life of Dave

Life of Dave

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

10th in a series originally posted on my Ride to Conquer Cancer personal page:

Cycle blog entry #10, May 13, 2009
I had a Eureka moment this afternoon as I rode home from the office in the rain.

I was riding along the new gravel path along the North side of Still Creek thinking about how I really have to get my act together soon concerning riding longer distances on weekends to build up my legs (and backside!) for the Ride. It's been 2 weeks since my trip to Iona Park and back.

I glanced down at my digital odometer/speedometer to see what speed I was maintaining on a flat surface with no head wind and noticed it was displaying miles per hour.

I've had this digital device almost as long as I've had the bike, about 3 years, and I guess I'd forgotten that I'd set it to display Imperial units. It took a couple of seconds to sink in, but I realized, of course, that if the speed was being recorded in MPH, then the distance was also most certainly in miles.

Since January I've been thinking I was traveling kilometers, but in reality I've been traveling MILES. From office to home isn't 10 km, it's 10 MILES (16.7 km). My ride to Iona park wasn't 32 km, it was 32 MILES (53 km).

No wonder I was tired when I got home! Doh!



No comments:

Post a Comment