Life of Dave

Life of Dave

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

6th in a series originally posted on my Ride to Conquer Cancer personal page:

Cycle blog entry #6, Apr. 21, 2009
Phase 1 of my training is now over; the running part. I set a goal for myself of 55 minutes for the Sun Run and I did it! 55:01 was my time. The InTraining program really helped. The interval training, especially, really paid off.

I gained a lot of speed from the last off-ramp from the Cambie Street bridge and managed to carry that momentum to the finish line. I think that was the fastest pace I've ever maintained for a finish line sprint. No knee pain either, which was certainly a welcome relief. I've had a few sporadic knee aches this season.

I didn't ride on Monday to give myself a much deserved rest. My plan of attack now for cycling training is going to be riding the whole 10 km distance home from the office twice a week with a longer ride (distance increasing each week) on Saturday or Sunday.

I've just installed new brake pads on my bike but they still need a bit of adjustment; they're too tight. Also I might have to replace the rear sprocket before the trip. It's starting to skip once in a while. The bike is 3 years old and it gets ridden a lot so I have to stay on top of replacing parts as they wear out.

It's OK if bike parts wear out, it's the body parts I really have to take care of. I scaled back my cross training earlier this year because my knees were starting to protest. They feel good now. Plus I have the added boost of having met my Sun Run target. I know I can meet my next one; to ride to Seattle for the Ride to Conquer Cancer.



No comments:

Post a Comment