Life of Dave

Life of Dave

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

3rd in a series originally posted on my Ride to Conquer Cancer personal page (with minor edits):

Cycle blog entry #3, Mar. 29, 2009
I've decided to take advantage of a road bike trick of installing cleated pedals to my mountain bike. They attach to a special clip on the bottom of the shoes. Essentially the pedal and the shoe become one unit which enables the rider to pull the pedal up with one foot while pushing the opposing pedal down with the other foot.

I know this is a much more efficient use of physical effort but until now I have resisted the change. I had installed plastic baskets (for lack of a better name) on the pedals that cover the front portion of the shoes, and these helped when climbing hills, but to be truly effective they must be cinched quite tight over the shoes. I didn't think that was very safe because you wouldn't be able to get your foot free if presented with a sudden stop.

Now I'm in a different frame of mind since I'm planning to be in the saddle for many hours at a stretch. I want to give myself every advantage to reduce fatigue while maintaining speed during ascents.

But then again, maybe the real reason for getting new pedals and shoes is the excitement of buying and installing new technological gadgets. Common perception is that it's a guy thing.

And I'm not too proud to admit to that.



No comments:

Post a Comment