Life of Dave

Life of Dave

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

8th in a series originally posted on my Ride to Conquer Cancer personal page:

Cycle blog entry #8, May 1, 2009
We have a Social Committee where I work and they were kind enough to plan a fundraising event to benefit my Ride to Conquer Cancer. Yesterday was the Trow Chili Cook-off. Four managers agreed to participate and they prepared their secret chili concoctions, recipes no doubt passed down from generation to generation.

Ironically enough I almost missed the event myself. Posters were put up advertising the event starting at 1:30 pm. I thought I had plenty of time to go to a job site in the morning to perform a review of the construction. I got back at noon and the event was already underway.

A couple of the participating managers/chefs had had an important meeting re-scheduled so the cook-off got moved up. I had checked my email that morning before the re-scheduling occurred. All ended well however, although I almost missed tasting one of the chili recipes. There was barely a spoonful left in the bottom of the pot, but I did get to sample all four.

The fundraising consisted of donating $5 in order to taste and vote for your favourite. Weather was perfect as well. We ate chili on the West patio in the sunshine and raised $170 for the BC Cancer Foundation.

Many thanks to everyone that participated.



No comments:

Post a Comment