Life of Dave

Life of Dave

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

12th in a series originally posted on my Ride to Conquer Cancer personal page:

Cycle blog entry #12, June 4, 2009
It's hard to believe it was only last week I needed a wind breaker on my ride home from work. Today I need industrial strength sun screen. It's over 30 degrees this afternoon.

But as happens every year, three days into a run of undeniably hot weather people start asking, "Will this heat wave EVER end?"

Not me. I've always liked this kind of weather. My Dad was like that too. That got me to thinking about the coincidence that it'll be Father's Day during the weekend of The Ride.

If it's this hot on June 20 & 21 it'll be quite a confluence of memories and events for me. I'll explain what I mean. My Dad passed away from Cancer 18 years ago. He is one of the main motivations for me to sign up for this event; and he loved being out in the hot summer sun.

It'll be even more poignant for me to be riding in the heat because before he became a paraplegic my Dad rode a moped in Germany and had wanted to get a motorcycle when he came to Canada. We never really talked about bicycles, I guess since obviously he couldn't ride one with me as I was growing up. Although he kind of did. I remember fondly riding my first bike (with training wheels) with him rolling alongside in his wheelchair.

I guess with Father's Day approaching I have been sub-consciously thinking about my connection to my Father and all the things it would be nice to talk to him about these days.

Participating in a strenuous physical activity on a hot summer day seems to me to be a fitting tribute to my Dad.

Happy Father's Day, Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment