Life of Dave

Life of Dave

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

2nd in a series originally posted on my Ride to Conquer Cancer personal page (with minor edits):

Cycle blog entry #2, Mar. 23, 2009
I should come clean and mention that I don't ride every day. During torrential downpours I take advantage of Shauna's offer of a car ride to the bus stop on Broadway at Kingsway. I have rain gear and I know how to use it, but seriously, everyone has their limits.

Recently, those snow days weren't conducive to riding. Then the snow melted and turned to ice in the mornings, and before I knew it, it was March. I know studded tires exist but I'm not exactly an Alaskan ice racer.

Now I'm riding my bike regularly again. I made a change in tires this season in anticipation of riding to Seattle. Truth be told I likely should have bought a road bike last time I upgraded but I'm still partial to an off-road trail now and again. During my teenage years the rims on my road bike had permanent wobbles in them from jumping curbs and riding where road bikes were never meant to go.

The recent concession I have made to road riding was to install hybrid tires. When inflated to near maximum pressure they offer limited rolling resistance. I'm confidant they'll work well for the Ride to Conquer Cancer. It'll be interesting to see how many mountain bikes there will be on the trip. I'm guessing not many.



No comments:

Post a Comment